Saturday, April 21, 2007

Louisiana in Words: "the right words portray a million pictures;" meet contributors at Barnes & Noble, Shreve Memorial Lib, Sat, Ap 21

From editor-publisher Joshua Clark, at the National Book Critics blog: Louisiana In Words is coming out March 18. We're having a big party that afternoon at the Maple Leaf, and then on April 21 doing a statewide signing simultaneously in dozens of towns across Louisiana, involving the 110 writers, it's a first for our state.

Sure It's a book I started long before Katrina, an answer to all the picture books we have about our state and city (and others done the world over on other places). I've long held the belief that a picture can say a thousand words, but the right words portray a million pictures, and I think these writers -- all 110 --- prove that.

I culled through thousands of submissions. The only qualification, in a nutshell, was that it be one page or less, and one minute in time, anywhere in Louisiana. We got writers like Andrei, John Biguenet, and Bev Marshall, and many totally undiscovered ones (the real gem here, for me).


Shreveport Area Events

April 21, 2-4 pm
Barnes & Noble Shreveport
6646 Youree Dr
Shreveport, LA 71105-4630
Contributors at this event include George Newtown, Bobby Pierce, Sarah Elisabeth Roussel, Lina Mearl Beavers.

April 21
Shreveport Memorial Library
424 Texas St
Shreveport La 71120-1523
Contributors at this event include Tricia Baker.

2 comments:

Robert E Trudeau said...

Special shout-out to writer Tricia Baker, a SptBlog reader, I'm happy to report. Congrats on being published in La In Words, Tricia!

Antifluff Superstar said...

I was happy to see one of my photographs used here to support a book about "louisiana". And that "Goose Neck" cloud was unlike any cloud I have ever seen.

I will check out "Louisiana in Words".