Wednesday, December 07, 2005
What to get your kids for Xmas: toys and tools
* Digital camera - let's face it, they're affordable and enormously useful. My 9 year-old uses one to shoot brief movies. The segments can be stitched together using easy-to-use software on PC or Mac.
* Laptop! My iBook 12" has changed my life. An example: I can do homework around the family - so can my son - instead of tucked away in the middle room at the desktop computer.
* Broadband internet connection. It's a new century and life costs a bit more. Your kid and family are communicators; it's what Americans do.
* Router for a wireless connection in the house. Use the fast connection no matter the room you're in.
* Classes in digital skills such as Photoshop or Flash. See LSUS, Centenary, BPCC, SRAC, etc.
* At the very least, a flash drive (jump drive) in their stocking. What capacity? A 128 is good, a 256 better.
* iPod Nano or other flash drive mp3 player: they can be used to transport projects and photos as well as music.
Do you have similar suggestions?