Monday, May 21, 2007
Summer arts classes for students: an update and link to the Times' Camp List 07
For adult artists the appropriate instruction may be found at LSUS, Southern, Centenary, BPCC. For those with the drive, art classes taken far away from Shreveport would seem the right thing.
For young artists, a variety of teachers and instructional scenes is essential.
Here are a number of announcements that have arrived lately, plus a link to the Times' Camp List 07.
* Summer Creativity Camp, Bossier Arts Council, begins June 4, and has been extended to 6 weeks, ending July 13.
- 2 areas of instruction: theatre arts and visual arts.
- ages 8 to 12.
Theatre arts: exercises, games, and interactive role playing under Heather Peak Hooper.
- 8:30 to 12, M - F.
- will culminate in three live performances.
- t-shirt and a DVD copy of the performance included
- Enrollment for the theatre portion of Summer Creativity Camp is $150 per child.
Visual arts campers will get hands-on with paint, glue, and a variety of art supplies under alternating art teachers, including NeeCee Blackwell and Michael Phillips.
- hours for visual arts are 1 to 3, M - F, June 4 - July 13.
- reception and gallery display of the artists’ works in the BAC Annex. - t-shirt
- Enrollment for the visual art portion of Summer Creativity Camp 2007 is $165 per child.
Campers who enroll in both theatre arts and visual arts camps will receive a $35 discount and bring a sack lunch from home and eat from 12:00-1:00.
Extended morning care from 8:00 to 8:30: a $30 dollar fee applies for the 6-week period. Enrollment may be made online at www.bossierarts.org, 318-741-8310
Acting for the Camera is the title of a new course being offered for the first time this summer at Centenary College.
The class will be taught by Emily Heugatter-Mathias, a professional actress formerly from Chicago, Ill. She has a master of fine arts degree in acting from DePaul University and has been working professionally in entertainment as an actress since childhood. She will be joining the faculty of Centenary's Theatre Department in the Fall.
Acting for the Camera will cover the techniques specific to acting in front of the camera for film and television. The course, Theatre 290, offers three semester hours of college credit.
Summer school classes at Centenary begin Monday, June 4 and meet every weekday through Friday, June 29. The acting class will meet from 1 to 3 p.m. each day.
Tuition is $250 per credit hour. For more information about registering for this and other summer school classes, see http://www.centenary.edu/registrar/summerschool.
Sciport: half day and full day camps Available for K-8th graders! June 4 - Aug 3
Download Reservation Form at sciport.org.
• Science Explorers (K-1st graders)
• Sense-ible Science (K-1st graders)
• Under the Sea (K-3rd graders)
• Mad Scientist Lab (2nd-5th graders)
• Grossology (4th-5th graders)
• Anatomy Academy (6th-8th graders)
• Harry Potter: DA training (K-8th graders)
• Space Encounters (K-1st graders)
• Galactic Adventurers (2nd-3rd graders)
• Cosmic Quest (4th-5th graders)
• Space Odyssey (6th-8th graders)
Bossier Arts Council: Acting Fundamentals for Young People
Fridays: June 8 Or June 22
10 am – 4 pm
Ages: 12 -18
Discounts available for siblings.
Participants need to bring a sack lunch and drink for lunch break.
Young actors are introduced to key building blocks of physical expression, voice, interpretation, sensory and emotional recall, improvisation and characterization. These skills build confidence and flexibility whether incorporated into theater, film, radio, or television work.
Mary Alfred Thoma is a professional actress, director and drama teacher. Mary has credits in theater, radio and television and has recently successfully segued into speaking roles in film. She currently teaches fifth through eighth grade drama at Southfield Middle School in Shreveport and directs the middle school musicals.
Film credits: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2245081/
BAC: 318-741- 8310.
Mary Thoma is also offering Theatre Workshop for Youth through Spt Little Theater.
Saturday Session with Mary Alfred Thoma: June 3 from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. The session is limited to 12 participants and is open to 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th graders only. The fee is $50. Snacks with be furnished.
Shreveport Little Theatre at 424-4439.
More information: email@example.com
The Times Camp List 07 was compiled in April by Shannon Coleman. Here you will find a wide array of opportunities, including a great list of classes by LSUS.
A number of local arts classes are advertised by word-of-mouth. Those teachers who still have openings may email me their agenda for posting on SptBlog.