Friday, January 14, 2005

Monica Blake Mickle to sing with the SSO


Monica Blake Mickle
Originally uploaded by trudeau.
Friday night, Jan. 14, Monica Blake Mickle sings with a combined choir and the Shreveport Symphony Orchestra. Having heard her sing several times I can tell you it's going to be inspiring.

At the Red River Revel she sang with jazz man Brian Blade. First, they sang duets to his folk-rock compositions. The following night she was one of the soloists when the Brian Blade Fellowship joined the Zion Baptist Church choir.

She's got a soaring voice; it's melodious and powerful. "Perfect Peace" is the name of her CD.

Once a year the SSO backs a giant choir and top soloists like Mickle. The event, called The People's Concert, is one of my favorite shows of the year. The audience is ebullient and responsive and the musicians thrive on the choir's energy.

It begins at 7:30 pm. I'd recommend catching a shuttle from the AmSouth Parking garage. Enter from Milam Street between Market and Edwards. Wait on Milam for the complimentary A-1 Shuttle Bus to the Civic Theatre. The first shuttle pickup is at 6:30 p.m.

The Times' hard-working Jennifer Flowers talked to singers and musicians this week about the People's Concert, which is underwritten by the generous Community Foundation of Shreveport-Bossier. .

1 comment:

Robert E Trudeau said...

Lamely, I did not check with the SSO before I added the parking shuttle item. When I drove into the AmSouth garage prior to the show I realized I'd made a mistake. There was no shuttle for the People's Concert!

If you were inconvenienced by my error, I apologize.