Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Another city encourages bicycle commuting in a big way: Paris launches le Velib rental system


Velib riders
Originally uploaded by malias
In Paris a progressive mayor has made it easier for an enormous number of people to get greener. The city of boulevards and hairy traffic has set up self-service docking stations for more than 10,600 rental bicycles, says the NY Times.

The bikes provide an alternative to the Metro - as well as to autos. The system is designed to work for locals but suits savvy tourists, too.

It is called the Vélib for “vélo,” bicycle, and “liberté,” freedom. Users can rent a bike online or at any of the stations, using a credit or debit card and leave them at any other station. A one-day pass costs 1 euro ($1.38), a weekly pass 5 euros ($6.90) and a yearly subscription 29 euros ($40), with no additional charges as long as each bike ride does not exceed 30 minutes.



Bicycle commuting is a an evolutionary movement championed by sptBlog. Even this city of humid substropical lassitude might grow as a center for practical cycling. In particular, East Shreveport is a sweet ride.

This fall my buddies at work and I are going to try to bike to work 2 days a week instead of one.

And, secretly, I have a long-term goal of establishing an annual art bike parade for the city. First, I'm going to paint my commuter bike in the colors I saw on a bike in Amsterdam. And I'm seeding the idea with art teachers and students. Next step?

1 comment:

Robert E Trudeau said...

from the staff at the Hotel Louvre St Anne, Paris: "Bonjour,
It’s Moun ! how are you ? bien!
Concerning Velib, half of the staff will use it; half not.
I’m a part of the “no use” because it is a little bite scaring to use it in Paris.
I live at argentine station next to arc de triomphe and I will have to ride on that traffic :no no no merci.
I’m have no confiance of the moto and scooter .
Of course if there is a metro strike I will have to use it : no choice.
But It is a success here and the people who live outside paris request it because it will be so convenient.
Edyta will use it from her apartment to here but not on the way back because she told me that her street is inclined.
The cost is 29euros the year which is cheaper than using the metro..I have to think about it
Have good day!
Say bonjour to your wife and your son!