Thursday, January 05, 2006

West Edge Artists' Co-op Exec Director: writer and activist Michael Parker

Political activist, critic, essayist and book maven Michael Parker has been named executive director of the newly-organized West Edge Artists' Co-op.

"Michael brings with him years of experience working in the regional arts sector, and is a well-respected member of Shreveport's literary arts community," says Debbie Buchanan Engle, West Edge Arts Co-op founder. "Michael is a full member of the West Edge Artists' Co-op, and will offer rare and used books in his co-op gallery space. He will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the co-op, and will serve on its Board of Directors."

More about Parker from his stimulating website, mptheredrivered.blogspot.com:

"I'm a Shreveport native, returned to the area in August 2004 after 18 years away. I'm blissfully married to a beautiful, brilliant and heroic eighth-grade English teacher, & we have a vivacious five-year-old stand-up comic-in-training who adores Calvin and Hobbes. I'm passionate about politics, books and baseball. Fighting for social justice keeps me young, being a stay-at-homeschooling father keeps me on my toes, and my early retirement keeps me active. Peace, y'all."

The West Edge Artists' Co-op welcomes artists from all disciplines to apply for membership in the group. See the webite at www.westedgeartists.com, or call 318.221.6961.

No comments: