Sunday, June 26, 2005

Dia de Los Muertos planning underway at SRAC; major art event opening at Artspace in September

Dia de Los Muertos, "Day of the Dead," is a major Mexican celebration of ancestors and of the living as well as the dead. Traditionally, few in Shreveport-Bossier knew or cared about this fascinating event. Today Pam Atchison, chief of Shreveport Regional Arts Council, is busily planning a Dia de Los Muertos event for Artspace. It will open in September with Mariachi music and scores of colorful shrines built to honor the deceased artists of the region.

On the planning and construction team is Sir Kevin Wolfe and wife Janet Wolfe. And here is a fighting flyer built by kite-maker and furniture maven Kevin. He explains " I finished the Mexican fighter kite today. It flies well. I did this one for the "Day of the Dead" celebration, upcoming. Because it is a fighter kite, I used a soldier motif. The kite made from rip stop nylon in three layer applique, with fiber glass frame. This particular shape of fighter kite is called a "Buka."

Those of you with ideas to offer or cultural background applicable to Dia should buzz me or SRAC (673-6500).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Everyone I talk to thinks that this exhibit is a wonderful idea. Congratulations to everyone involved.

Robert E Trudeau said...

Times writer Melody Brumble emailed today to say "Okay, I'm excited about the Day of the Dead exhibit! I love that stuff."

Melody covers the education beat for the Times and I like and respect her reporting. Thanks for reading SptBlog, Melody.