Sunday, March 13, 2005

Artspace: Noma Fowler-Sandlin

Producer of the mobbed Peter Pan Quiz Night for Artspace, Noma Fowler-Sandlin is also copy writer for the whirl of S'pt regional Arts Council events surrounding The Art of Robots exhibition. Can you guess her favorite characters in Bill Joyce's new book, The Art of Robots?

Among her clarion items from SRAC is New Hours and Prices for Artspace next week!

Artspace will be FREE weekdays and $5 per person on Saturdays - when there will be expanded artist-facilitated hands-on events for kids and families to enjoy. Rates for Special Events will vary.

Call 673-6535 for details.

Artspace will be closed on Sundays. Hours Monday through Wednesday will be 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Thursday, Friday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., plus later for Special Events.

1 comment:

Noma said...

I am also doing special events for the soon to be a reality Coolspace. Now, a lot of people have expressed their concern at being "deligated to the basement." I don't really understand that sentiment, because I think Ginsberg would've killed to play the basement. And it's not to say that the basement will be the location for Coolspace forever; it's all pretty flexible after this show.

Now, what is Coolspace, you ask? It's the space in artspace for local art and local performances, with the occasional visitor thrown in for lots of reasons.

I'm a little weird about programming it. There has been such resistance on the part of many local artists to participate in SRAC events in the past couple of years. I do hope, however, that they'll be willing to let bygones be longgones and participate in something I want to be really cool. (And although this will probably jetison me into therapy later, I'm hoping they'll do it for me if they can't do it for them. More importantly still, to do it for themselves.)

As a student of eastern philosophies, one of my goals is to be egoless. I find that just taking opportunities despite reservations often leads to good things. I'm hoping I can spread my philosophy and make something happen in Coolspace.

If Coolspace events are attended with the enthusiasm of even half the folks that attended Sizer Yerger's Body Electric Tattoo Parlor opening last night, it will be an amazing success for the artists of Shreveport and art in general.

So, artists that read this: Approach me with an idea for a show at Coolspace.

And thanks, Trudeau, for being a great means of communication for the local art world. When I want to know what's going on, I surf to your blog.