Friday, December 28, 2012

Sex and suspicion: the Keira Knightly version of Anna Karenina an opulent odyssey on a sumptuous stage

Anna Karenina-1 by lissamabcd
Anna Karenina-1, a photo by lissamabcd on Flickr.

As an English major in college I intuited that Tolstoy's Anna Karenina was a book that I could skip with impunity.

With the arrival of the latest movie version - over the decades there have been 10 or more productions - I have caught up. Aha. And it was fairly easy. I recommend it.

Set on giant, detail-rich stages and in ice-encrusted trains and sun-kissed farms, director Joe Wright, he of Atonement, The Soloist and Pride & Prejudice (Keira Knightly version), seems to aim for clarity as well as theatricality.

All appears elegant, even the sex scenes between the magnetic Knightly and Count Vronsky, a golden cupcake of a prince.

But must not destruction smite people who live for passion? Ahem. I will not reveal.

I will recommend.

No comments: