Tuesday, November 15, 2005

New sculpture from Michael G Moore: GodSpeak 200502, mixed media

Michael G Moore has shown a lot of paintings this past year. His work has been shown on Louisiana Public Broadcasting, he has presented a one-man show in Breaux Bridge, at Cafe des Amis, and he has exhibited at Artspace.

Moore is also a long-time sculptor. His newest piece, Godspeak 200502, is a lean (78" x15x15") signpost that is assymetric but well-finished. It resembles a beautiful cabinet. It looks Chinese. There is a kinship to the Buddhist pagoda. Yet there is a pyramidal cap evokes the obelisk. It is reminiscent of Clyde Connell's work without seeming directly derivative.

Moore responds, "the Clyde Connell influence is there...I love her work." On the background of his sculpture: "I don't think I will be doing any more with so many religious images. I am getting ready to start another one, but more spiritual without actually having crosses--it will not be titled "Godspeak". I have been working on the "Godspeak" series for many years. I started in 1991, and there are a lot of them out there. Every once in a while I like to do a new version...that is what this one is."

No comments: